List are the 2013 and 2014 races that have been run or have gotten a firm commitment (and my money). There are always ‘on a whim’ races, and those will just have to show up to the start line a little late.
I continue to commit to three full and three half marathons per year, to at least BQ in every marathon, run sub 1:40 half marathons consistently, do a few 10Ks and avoid 5Ks if possible. (I love the track, but find that 5Ks really hurt.) If I can find some trails to race, I’ll toss those in too just for the fun of the mud.
I train in the pre-dawn light of almost every day because it keeps me sane (and hungry), and racing satisfies my sadistic Type A need to push the bar farther and farther out for myself. Running and racing is what I do for me, so if I’m out there, I’m happy. If I hit my goals, all the better. If I win something, well, that’s cause for wings and beer. I’m always looking for a running partner who doesn’t mind that I talk (a lot) when I run, and someone to party with me after we’ve laid it all on the course.
On the Books
January 19 – Hot Chocolate 15K
- 1:08 finishing time
- PR at 5K
- PR at 10K
- Top 10 finish for AG
February 3 – Tallahassee Marathon
- 3:31 finishing time
- First marathon effort
- Boston Qualified
- Podium! 2nd Place AG
March 17 – Publix Georgia (Half) Marathon
- 1:35 finishing time
- 6 minute PR
- 8 in AG
- 34th/4954 women
March 23 – Berry College (BCEMS) Half Marathon
- This was a NO GO. Huge bummer. We got rained/lightening-ed out. I’m hopeful that they’ll reschedule – this is a beautiful place to run! It has cows!
April 6 – Stingray 5K, New Smyrna Beach, FL (Spring Break Race! Woot!)
- PODIUM! 1st place female
- 21:21 – a new 5k race PR (but not a Garmin PR… still trying to break through the 21 minute barrier)
April 9 – Kick Ass Virtual 5K to support Chrons and Colitis
- Virtual 5K, did it as part of a 10 miler over Spring Break
- Great run! Saw wild roosters.
April 13 – Roswell 10 Miler to support Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- PODUIM! 1st place AG / 2nd place overall female
- 1:13 finishing time, meant it was another speed breaker for me – very fun!
April 20 – Sweetwater 420 5K
- PODIUM again! (This is getting fun.) 1st AG
- 20:58 – A PR by 2 seconds – the definition of “Squeak”
June 1 – 35th Annual Possum Trot
- Podium! 2nd AG
- 10K PR – 43:55 – was trying for sub-44… again “Squeak”
July 4 – Boogies 5 Miler in Aspen, CO
- Ran with the hubby and had a BLAST!
August 17 – Area 13.1 Half Marathon, Roswell GA
- Was a 2:00 Pacer and it was so great to help others hit their goals. Definitely committing to being a pacer at least once a year going forward.
October 13 – Chicago Marathon
- Holy cow.
- PR by 11 minutes
- BQ by 25 minutes (thanks to turning 40 in June…)
- 66 out of 2847 in my AG and (top 2% AG / top 7% overall – including the boys!)
- Most. Amazing. Race. Day. Ever.
October 26 – Silver Comet Half Marathon
- Course PR
- 1st AG
- 4th Overall Female
January 4 – Columbus Red Nose Half Marathon
- 3d AG
- Hadn’t really trained. This was COLD. And HARD. But FUN! Met some new friends!
Blue Devils 5K
- Ran this one for fun, and to support our babysitter, who is a high school track runner there
- Ran it 10 miles into my 19 mile morning, and managed to cross in 22:09. Way off my PR pace but holy-hill-hell. I took it a little easy because I still had six to go after I crossed the finish line and it still hurt.
- Anyway, finished 3d overall female and 1st AG so not too bad because it was full of HS track runners!
March 1 – Albany Marathon
- This was a ‘tester’ marathon to see how things are looking/feeling as we get closer to Boston.
- Didn’t push too hard, and pulled a 3:26:09 – a 7:49 average pace – and a 4th AG/17th Female
- Fast pace, fast runners!
March 23 – Publix Half Marathon
- Not a bad race. Finished in 1:36, 11th (wouldn’t you figure) in my AG – Next year, MASTERS. Watch out.
April 12 – Windermere 5K Among the Lakes
- Last minute decision to run this on spring break at my parents’ and I managed PODIUM! (They were tickled.)
- Amazing I cranked it out – haven’t been speed training b/c of the marathon season, it was 75 degrees and the whole damn race was in sand.
- Really, though, it was so cool – 2nd female overall, right behind a long time friend from high school who I hadn’t seen in years… you can read about her here.
April 21 – Boston Marathon (The big dog)
- You’ll just have to read about this one.
July 4 – Peachtree Road Race
- This is a course PR, but not an overall. My sweet friend, Marty, had the best race EVER. So proud of him.
- 44:42 time / 20th AG
Aug 16 – Back on my Feet Meaningful Miles 4 Miler
- 1st MASTERS (ouch)
- Fun race and did well! 27: 18
- Sept 1 – Big Peach Sizzler 10K
- October 4 – Atlanta 13.1
- October 26 – Atlanta 10 Miler
- November 8 – Savannah Rock & Roll Marathon
- November 27 – Atlanta Thanksgiving Half Marathon